Although this was her third time performing on the SNL stage, last night marked Lady Gaga’s first hosting stint on the sketch comedy show. The pop icon was not afraid to laugh at herself and the persona she has crafted over the years. It’s safe to say that Gaga definitely earned the applause she received last night.
1. Gaga opened the show with a cabaret performance of her hit song “Applause.” In a very cutesy Gaga way, the singer described the two kinds of applause (natural & cheap) and revealed that she was happy with either one. Her jazzy tone in this opening monologue was very Liza Minnelli-ish!
2. In a skit poking fun at the ridiculousness that is KimYe, Gaga appears as an Apple tech genius. When Jay Pharaoh’s Kanye poked fun at her fashion sense, she spoke out about her disdain for fashion. (“…Like c’mon; dress like a person!”) Her five seconds staring at the screen are epic.
3. In the parody about crappy musical covers by celebrities, Lady Gaga covered Madonna’s “Express Yourself” which sounded a heck of a lot like “Born This Way”… hmmm. (Check out the MAJOR shade Gaga threw at Madonna.)
4. When R. Kelly made a guest appearance for “Do What U Want,” I was shocked. I honestly thought that the dude creeping up behind Gaga was Jay Pharaoh, parodying the “Trapped in the Closet” singer! I was beside myself when Gaga appeared to be simulating oral sex on the R&B crooner, until he got on top of her in a choreographed move that involved push ups! Still, I loved it. Their musical chemistry is undeniable and her vocals were strong!
5. Gaga’s impressions of iconic movie characters --like Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny and Denzel Washington in Training Day—were hilarious!
6. Her performance as the Blockbuster Goddess is only the second weirdest moment of the night. As the team at Blockbuster drown in despair, she saves them for what appears to be an orgy with twizzlers.
7. Her second musical appearance wasn’t as memorable, although she sung “Gypsy.” She seemed elated throughout the performance but a random dude in purple sparkly tights totally stole the stage during the last part of the song!
8. Gaga’s stint as “Ashley’s mom” -- a rowdy stage parent who coaches her daughter from the audience-- was priceless! She was high energy and giving all the dance moves you’d expect from the pop star.
9. “I’m on the edge of roast beef!” Gaga plays an old, has-been version of herself. Kenan Thompson plays her building super and he no idea who the super star is—although he does recollect “Empress Beyonce!” It concludes pseudo-sad and kind of weird but isn’t that the saga of Lady GaGa?
What can we conclude from the SNL's latest host? Besides her power-house vocals and smooth moves, Lady Gaga has some impressive acting chops. This is one artist I wouldn't mind seeing on the big screen.